Substance use disorders are often accompanied by mental health conditions that can exacerbate addiction and make it difficult to maintain sobriety. Both conditions need to be addressed simultaneously for the most effective treatment, which can be done at dual diagnosis treatment centers. Dual diagnosis simply means that a person is diagnosed with a substance use disorder and co-occurring mental health disorder.
At Olympic Behavioral Health Center in Boynton Beach, FL, we realize the importance of concurrently treating mental health and addiction. We are dedicated to helping you achieve lasting sobriety through our dual diagnosis treatment program in Boynton Beach, FL. Call us today at (561) 272-0800 to learn more about how we can help you heal fully and reclaim the health and happiness you deserve.
HOW DO DUAL DIAGNOSIS TREATMENT PROGRAMS WORK?
Decades ago, it was believed that a person had to overcome addiction before they could be treated for mental health conditions. Unfortunately, this treatment model left many clients with the same issues that contributed to their addiction and put them at a much higher risk of relapse. Medical professionals realized that mental illness could lead to substance abuse and vice versa, so addressing one condition at a time was providing incomplete, ineffective addiction treatment.
At Olympic Behavioral Health, our dual diagnosis treatment program involves:
- A strong emphasis on individual therapy for mental health disorders – This can include conditions like anxiety, depression, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), schizophrenia, and bipolar disorder.
- Medication management for mental health treatment – You may meet with a physician or psychiatrist who can prescribe antidepressants, anti-psychotics, or anti-anxiety medications.
- Medications to ease withdrawal symptoms and cravings – If you struggle with withdrawal discomfort as you begin your recovery journey, medications can be administered to alleviate the pain and cravings.
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) and dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) – These can help you expel problematic behaviors and choose healthy behaviors conducive to your recovery. CBT and DBT can also help decrease your risk of relapse by teaching you how to manage triggers more effectively.
- Group therapy – These sessions provide opportunities for healthy social interactions, sharing recovery experiences, and learning coping skills.
- Family therapy – This type of counseling can help facilitate healthier communication, rebuild trust, and teach appropriate boundaries. Your family members can also learn how to support you through your dual diagnosis treatment without enabling you or unintentionally interfering with your progress.
You may notice similar characteristics between dual diagnosis treatment and other addiction treatment programs. The main difference with dual diagnosis is a heavier focus on treating mental health issues so that you can be better equipped for a healthy recovery.
IS A DUAL DIAGNOSIS TREATMENT CENTER RIGHT FOR YOU?
Choosing the right type of addiction and mental health treatment is essential for your recovery. Ask yourself these questions to help you decide if a program at a dual diagnosis treatment center may be your best match:
- Have you tried unsuccessfully to quit drugs or alcohol in the past? With untreated mental health conditions, it will be difficult to achieve lasting sobriety.
- Are you aware of an existing mental illness but choose self-medication with drugs or alcohol over treatment from a physician or therapist?
- Do you use substances to deal with stress, anxiety, or depression?
- Do you often feel overwhelmed by your daily responsibilities?
- Are you only able to relax when using drugs or alcohol?
If you are struggling with a mental health condition and substance use disorder, do not settle for an incomplete treatment program. When you choose dual diagnosis treatment, you will be giving yourself the gift of a full and lasting recovery.
OLYMPIC BEHAVIORAL HEALTH: TREATING ADDICTION AND MENTAL HEALTH IN BOYNTON BEACH, FL
When you are ready to end the mental health and addiction cycle, you can trust Olympic Behavioral Health. Our dual diagnosis treatment program in Boynton Beach, FL, utilizes an array of complementary, behavioral, and psychotherapies to heal your mind and body and prepare you for a successful recovery journey. Call us today at (561) 272-0800 to learn how dual diagnosis treatment can support your healthy, sober lifestyle.