The matrix model is a structured, 16-week addiction treatment protocol. It was originally designed to treat cocaine and methamphetamine addictions though it is widely applied in treating other addictions. Group therapy is often emphasized as part of the matrix model alongside incorporating family involvement throughout recovery. Patients in a matrix model treatment program receive weekly drug testing, learn how to navigate a sober lifestyle, and are equipped with coping strategies to avoid relapse.
Olympic Behavioral Health operates a high-quality matrix model treatment program alongside myriad other addiction treatment programs. Learn more about these services by calling (561) 272-0800.
WHAT IS A MATRIX MODEL TREATMENT PROGRAM?
Matrix model treatment programs are a highly-structured treatment option that shares many similarities with outpatient treatment. Patients in a matrix model treatment program typically visit an addiction treatment center during the day and return home following therapy sessions and treatment. It can be implemented in response to any addiction. However, as already mentioned, its creation came about in response to the need for quality outpatient structures to tackle stimulant addictions.
People with cocaine or other stimulant addiction tend to exhibit different tendencies compared to other addictions such as alcohol. These include:
- Shorter histories of drug use
- Sporadic periods of abstinence followed by drug use
- A recognition that they have an addiction
- Extreme physical cravings
Matrix model treatment programs were designed in response to the specific ways that stimulant addictions most often affect people. Like any high-quality approach to recovery, it incorporates multiple evidence-based treatments. A few examples include cognitive-behavioral therapy, contingency management, and 12-step facilitation.
TREATMENT METHODS USED IN A MATRIX MODEL TREATMENT PROGRAM
The matrix model treatment program operated by Olympic Behavioral Health in West Palm Beach, Florida, relies on six key components: individual therapy sessions, early recovery groups, relapse prevention groups, family education groups, social support groups, and 12-step meetings.
Individual therapy is the backbone of most addiction treatment approaches. That’s no different in a matrix model treatment program. Robust social support opportunities then bolster those individual therapy sessions through various group settings. Three common settings include:
- Early Recovery Groups: Early recovery groups are designed for people experiencing the first weeks and months of dedicated recovery. Participants can offer feedback to one another on what is working and act as a source of accountability. Together, patients learn coping skills and how to manage cravings.
- Relapse Prevention Groups: As the name implies, these groups are laser-focused on relapse prevention. Group members share about how they navigate staying sober and discuss different topics related to relapse prevention. These include things like behavior change and working to alter negative thought patterns.
- Family Education Groups: Family education groups involve close family members in the recovery process. The patient and their close loved ones learn about the biology of addiction, the physical and mental effects of using drugs, and addiction’s effects on the family unit. Repairing the damage caused by addiction is also a major focus of family education groups.
Using these combinations of therapies, our team of counselors, therapists, and addiction professionals can craft a treatment plan that not only meets the unique needs of the individual but set them on a clear path to achieve their goals in recovery.
FIND HELP IN WEST PALM BEACH, FLORIDA, AT OLYMPIC BEHAVIORAL HEALTH
Olympic Behavioral Health’s matrix model treatment program in West Palm Beach, Florida, is the perfect place to jumpstart your recovery. Our treatment is built on collaboration between therapists and patients. Achieving your recovery goals may seem daunting. But at Olympic Behavioral Health, you will never be alone on your journey to wholeness. You can expect empathy and respect every step of the way.
Reach out today by calling (561) 272-0800 to discover exceptional addiction treatment services that can turn your life around.